Review Our Business

Homestead Chimney Service Blog

Common Chimney Problems

It is common that since you do not use your chimney everyday, you may not think about the repairs that come along with it.  The worst part is that if you let these repairs go without attention they could potentially worsen and cause damage to the chimney and to your home.

The first step is to have someone who is Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) certified.  You also want to make sure that they are someone that they are commonly recommended, so you know their work is always solid.  For chimney assistance, contact the professionals at Homestead Chimney Service today.

What can go wrong?

Being aware of the problems that will reveal themselves over the life of your chimney will help you be preventative and save money.

Being aware of the problems that will reveal themselves over the life of your chimney will help you be preventative and save money.

Even though you do not want to think about it, there are many things that can go wrong inside of your chimney that may look small and turn out to be big problems.  One of the main things is the water that can enter your home and cause mold to form.  If you live in an area that has extremely wet weather you will have to pay closer attention.  If your flashing becomes loose, cracked, or missing a professional may be able to caulk it is caught in time.  If not, it may need replacing.

Also, the bricks of the chimney can become cracked and a great place for water to collect.  Your technician will be able to examine the damage and figure out the proper way to fix it.  Lastly, they may suggest that you have a chimney cap installed to protect from water, animals, and debris.

After your chimney is fixed a water test it needed to see if any water is still absorbing into the unit, and if so you will probably be suggested to have it waterproofed.  Any experienced professional can do this in a day.  The sealant spray used will need at least six hours to dry so make sure you pick a day that has a dry forecast.

What happens if the repairs are not fixed?

Other than becoming a bigger issue in the chimney, the effects could eventually harm your entire home.  The mold that grows in the chimney can spread to the foundation of your home and the air you breathe.  Also, other broken parts or chimneys that have not been cleaned properly can start an unwanted fire. The best way to avoid these kinds of problems is to ensure regular maintenance to your chimney.

 

Moisture Causes Mold

Let’s Talk Mold

As you may already know, water is your chimney’s biggest enemy. It can cause structural damage by getting into your bricks and mortar, rusting and corrosion damage to your chimney parts, and, even more dangerous, mold spores to grow inside your chimney walls. When mold begins growing inside your chimney, it spreads quickly, entering your home, causing illness to you and your family. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has published a guide to mold, moisture, and your home, and they recommend the best solution for ridding your chimney from mold is having a professional chimney sweep performed on your chimney by a Chimney Safety Institute of America-certified chimney sweep like Homestead Chimney Services. We want to highlight the main points from the EPA guide so you can know for certain if you do have mold in your chimney.

Mold can cause a variety of health problems, including respiratory problems.

Mold can cause a variety of health problems, including respiratory problems.

  • Why is mold growing in my chimney? If you do not have a properly fitted chimney cap on top of your chimney, you are getting both leaf debris and water in your chimney. Mold spores can be on the leaf debris, and the cool, damp environment of your chimney is the perfect atmosphere for mold growth.
  • How do I know mold is growing in my chimney? The obvious tell-tale sign is a dusky, dank smell coming from your fireplace. You may notice yourself or other family members feeling sick. If the mold has spread, you may be able to see the mold around your fireplace on the bricks, or even on the walls around the fireplace.
  • Can mold cause health problems? For those with asthma, mold can cause serious breathing problems, and if someone has mold allergies, he or she can become very sick. Mold produces allergens, breathing irritants, and in some instances, toxic substances like mycotoxins. Allergic reactions include hay fever symptoms like sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and a skin rash. If someone has a lung disease, the effects of mold can be dangerous and even life-threatening.
  • How do I get rid of the mold in my chimney? Your first step to getting rid of the mold is to schedule a professional chimney sweep from Homestead Chimney Services as soon as you know mold is growing inside your chimney. We will come to your home and professionally remove the mold along with creosote build-up and soot in your chimney. The next step is preventing the mold from coming back. Our technicians can inspect your chimney cap and replace it if it does not fit to keep debris and water out. We can also look at your chimney’s ventilation system to ensure proper ventilation is happening. You may need flue liner repair to protect your chimney walls. We at Homestead Chimney Services are experienced in all of these repairs and can get your chimney serviced to be completely mold-free.

Mold in your home is never a pleasant thing to endure, and chimney mold can enter your house and spread quickly if you are not prepared to deal with it as soon as possible. If mold gets into the walls of your home, you will have costly repairs of replacing dry wall, insulation and even duct work. Proper maintenance of your chimney is your best prevention, and having an annual chimney sweep and inspection go a long way in protecting your family from the dangers of mold. Contact us at Homestead Chimney Services today to schedule an appointment for your annual chimney sweep.